Wednesday 7 December 2011

All about... Karen

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves properly, so here's all about the Loopy Lady herself, Karen:



Full Name
Karen Elaine Phillips (Note the 2 L's in Phillips - only found out the wealthy one has 1 L after the wedding!)



Occupation
Being a loopy lady!

Ok, so what do you actually do?
I run Loopy Ladies in Bromsgrove which is a craft and creative centre. Us ladies sometimes are so busy running around and juggling so many pieces of our lives that we forget to take time for ourselves. Loopy Ladies is a place to come and relax and take some ME time. Learn a new skill, brush up on an old skill, drink tea and coffee, eat cake and have a chat. A haven for those with crafting tendencies (even if they have been hidden for a few years!).One of the main objectives is to ensure that crafting remains sociable and enables ladies with common interests to get together and chat as they create. In this high tech world it is all too easy to become isolated. There is nothing like having someone in front of you showing you how to do things so you can ask question and receive answers straight away. More details are at: www.loopyladies.co.uk


So, just how crafty are you?
Very crafty is the answer. There are not many crafts that I have not attempted over the years. As a small child I can remember attempting projects from my Mothers Womens Weekly Magazine and avidly watching Valerie Singleton on Blue Peter. My Mother used to make lots of clothes and my Nan knitted so there were always scaps of wool and fabric about (not to forget 'sticky back plastic which I persuaded my parents to buy for me!) 

Over the years I have taught Patchwork and Quilting at Halesowen College and workshops in various crafts for The Groomery and other craft centres. I have crafted in schools and with Young Textiles but that is perhaps something for the future with Loopy Ladies as I really want to concentrate on grown up crafting at the moment. I also have designed and made for a Designer childrenswear company.

The main problem is there are never enough hours in the day. I have so many ideas and so much that I want to create that I think I may have to give up sleep!  Patchwork, Knitting, Raffia Hat making, Teddy Bear Making, Doll Making, Crochet, Weaving, Jewellery Making, Card Making, Dressmaking........ the list is endless.

What do you love about making things?
Everything! Being a natural horder I love been surrounded with lots and lots of bits and pieces and the opportunitiy to create something is always there. To craft a gift for someone feels so much better than just going out and buying a gift.

Any creative ambitions?
Teach people to relax and enjoy and value their crafting skills. Who knows what the future will bring! Lots of ideas are buzzing round my very excited head at the moment!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...